About This Creation

My photo
Let this be said of me: [That] I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Worship Matters




Worship matters. Fo' real.

I thought I knew that all along until I was given an eye-opening book adequately entitled, "Worship Matters" written by none other than the head honcho of Sovereign Grace Ministries himself, Bob Kauflin.

Kauflin does an excellent job of closely analyzing assumptions we have about worship and strains them through scriptural and theologically sound thinking. Here's an excerpt off of the book with regards to the importance of doctrine and theology in worship:

"The better we know God through his Word, the more genuine our worship will be. In fact, the moment we veer from what is true about God we're engaging in idolatry. Regardless of what we think or feel there is no authentic worship of God without a right knowledge of God." (28)

This guy has been living the life of a worship leader for a long time-- and you can see that through his words and deeds. I especially like his definition of a worship leader:

A faithful worship leader
magnifies the greatness of God in Jesus Christ
through the power of the Holy Spirit
by skillfully combining God's Word with music,
thereby motivating the gathered church
to proclaim the gospel,
to cherish God's presence
and to live for God's glory


Man, what a rich and profound definition of this blessed vocation. I've often had a hard time trying to figure out what my role is-- both as a worshiper of Jesus Christ at school and within the context of the local church. I've come to realize that it's not just my guitar that empowers me to lead God's people into worship-- it's the Holy Spirit.

That's a LOAD of weight off of my back.

The definition that Bob gives is one of holistic and "holly-stic" proportions. It is where I aim for-- not just on Thursday nights on stage or Sunday nights at Restoration Church, but everyday of my life.


Please continue to pray for me and the elders of Restoration Church as we trust in the one who is worthy of worship to lead us true and heartfelt worship.



Thanks for the great resource, Joey.

No comments:

Post a Comment