About This Creation

My photo
Let this be said of me: [That] I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Attempting to Synthesize a Life Compartmentalized

Hello world, my name is Matt Lozada and I'm a compartmentalist.

Let me break it down for you (as most compartmentalists do):

The definition of the word "compartmentalize" lifted from an online thesaurus:
Verb 1. compartmentalize - separate into isolated compartments or categories; "You cannot compartmentalize your life like this!"


Be forewarned-- this isn't the typical self-indulgent, solipsistic, and narcissistic cry-for-attention type of blog. This is an attempt to synthesize my compartmentalized life. Most people do consider their lives to be somewhat compartmentalized. But I believe that if we deeply consider the extent to just how isolated we are in our thinking, we will inevitably find that our attempts to live a life consistent with our own human logic, apart from a life centered on theological and Christological truths, fails.

This blog serves several purposes. First, it attempts to synthesize theological, philosophical, existential, and practical truths so that I can bridge the knowledge gaps which often keep us from living consistently with cross-centered thinking. In a world that is constantly changing, why should I trust in anything but the everlasting and unchanging truth of the Word of God-- which is God Himself! (John 1:1) This blog is my cognitive blueprint for life decompartmentalization. As Paul writes in his letter to the Ephesians,

He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.


Secondly, it serves as another form of journaling so I can track my own progress in life. Lastly, it is also an examination of my experience with the world around me.

I'm not sure if anyone has given much thought to how their lives work. I find that mine is structured around what I'm doing at the moment. If I'm in college, I'm told that I'm a student first and foremost. While I'm at work, I'm told that I'm a sushi server first and foremost. At home, I'm told that I have the foremost responsibility of an older brother to two and a son of a pastor and a dedicated mother. At church, I'm told that I'm part of a larger body of believers with a role of a song leader. Does that mean that when I'm working my day job that I'm absolved of my responsibilities to my brothers? Or when I'm at church that I'm any less of a larger body of believers? Heck no. But you see, it's easier to separate and isolate our lives into these divisions. Compartmentalization.

Life is like a gear stick and I find myself having to adjust to the different bends and turns that it throws my way. Most people leave their lives on cruise control-- letting life take them wherever the road leads, often times without stopping to check for directions or realizing that the drive can be just as meaningful as the destination.

Let's go for a drive shall we?

1 comment:

  1. I understand how you feel. You may have different responsibilities in life, but this should not confuse you about who you really are. All these roles in life are just temporary. One thing's for sure, Matt, and this is definitely permanent. You are a child of a Heavenly Father and He will surely appreciate you wherever you are in life.=)

    By the way, you are such a great writer, Matt. I am in awe. You make your readers want to read more of your work. Please keep writing. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete